Monday, July 16, 2012

lundi 16 juillet 2012


Have you ever had to make yourself blink and shake your head just to remind yourself you’re not dreaming? I did that this weekend, the majority of the weekend. Friday we went to a Bastille Day dance party inside a fire station with probably 400 people. Ran into an A&M friend on the other side of the world. Danced my heart out in the rain. 


Slept in until 1pm Saturday. Did you know there is a mini Statue of Liberty in Paris? I saw it. Picnic of cheese, baguettes and French cookies on the Champs de Mars under the Eiffel Tower. Sunset and laughing with friends. Mental pictures.




Then “It’s Raining Men” came on, and I thought of Gracie, mom, and I jamming out to that song on the Summer Mix CD on the way to Cambridge.

The theme for Bastille Day’s Eiffel Tower fireworks was Disco, so they hung up a HUGE disco ball in the middle of the Eiffel Tower! The fireworks started, and for an hour, we got to live in a dream world with the sparkling Eiffel Tower lit up by fireworks. We laughed and danced and ooed and awed and screamed like little girls.

More mental pictures.

Pinch me.
Yesterday I went to lunch with my church here, and met a bunch of new friends. But unfortunately that was my last Sunday. I started to get really sad yesterday once I realized I was about to leave. I feel like I am just getting to know a few people really well, and am just getting fully adjusted. I could stay here for a long time.

The friends I met are from Seattle, and they are some really cute sophomore college girls who I would love to be friends with. After dinner, we went to a really neat open-air market with old trinkets and vintage clothes, house decorations, books, jewelry.

I spent almost an hour flipping through a box of old Polaroid pictures. I found one photo of a marine sitting on the stairs with a smirk on his face. And another one of a young woman, and you could only see the silhouette of her face against the sun as she looked away. I imagined that they gave those photos to each other to remember when they were apart, as they were both had a worn crease down the middle.

Kaitlyn and I hung out with our friend Razvan by the Seine after the market. I love the quais of the Seine. We sat and listen to music, drank Schwepps, did trust-falls, and talked as the sun went down. “I have starting living by a new motto,” Razvan said, “My friends are more important than sleep.” I texted Beatrice and told her I changed my mind and wasn’t going to be home for dinner. And the three of us went to the Latin Quarter and ate falafels at the famous “L’As du Falafel.” We sat in the street and watched the people go by.

I was tired this morning. It feels like it should be Friday. It’s Monday. And it was worth it.  

I’m trying to figure out how I can get back here. Still working on it. I’ll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment